Celtic Weave China
Shamrock-decorated basket by Celtic Weave China
If you like fine chinaware, you'll love visiting this unique pottery
workshop in Cloghore, South Donegal. Cloghore is just west of the pretty Northern Ireland village of Belleek.
Look for intricate basket-weave gift and heirloom pieces with colorful raised, life-like floral and shamrock embellishments. This collection of exquisite Irish bone china combines echoes of Ireland's
rich Celtic heritage with the beauty of Donegal nature.
piece is meticulously master-crafted, decorated and painted by hand, right in
their workshop, by the Celtic Daly family. The collection can also be viewed on their website, www.celticweavechina.com/shop.
Within 5 Kilometers of Bundoran Co Donegal
Four Masters Memorial
This monument was recently removed and the bridge is closed due to flood damage.
This monument by James McKenna is on Mullinaleck Bridge, on the boundary between Counties Donegal and Leitrim. It overlooks
the popular fishing river Drowes which, further on, empties into Donegal Bay just south of Bundoran Beach Resort.
Legacy of the Four Masters
The monument commemorates a group of heroic Celtic authors
known as The Four Masters, for the remarkable legacy they left for humanity.
legacy is a priceless manuscript called 'The Annals of the Kingdom of
Ireland', popularly called 'The Annals of the Four Masters'. It
contains a record of the history of Celtic and pre-Celtic Ireland, starting from
before the great biblical flood.
Four Masters monument, left side
The Four Masters
- Brother Mícheál Ó Cléirigh
- Cú Choigríche ÓCléirigh
- Cú Choigríche Ó Duibhgeannáin, and
- Fearfeasa Ó Maoil Chonaire.
Brother Mícheál Ó Cléirigh
chief scribe among the Four Masters, Franciscan Brother Mícheál Ó Cléirigh (Michael O'Cleary),
traveled extensively throughout Ireland on a special mission. The
learned historian gathered records of key historical events in the
ancient Celtic Kingdom of Ireland, from numerous original manuscripts.
Brother Michael collected those records in grave danger to his own life knowing that the ancient
manuscripts, and the precious knowledge they contained, would soon be
destroyed under hostile foreign occupation.
Compiling the Annals
Then, from 1632 to
1636, Brother Michael O'Cleary, together with the other three Masters,
laboriously transcribed those ancient Celtic records.
Four Masters monument, right side
They worked at Franciscan refuges at Lough Eske, and near the river Drowes because the Franciscan abbey at Donegal Town had
already been destroyed in 1601. From 1610 the abbey ruins were in the
possession of English captain Basil Brooke, and his son Sir Henry
Vaughan Brooke from 1633. Captain Brooke had used the scattered stones
of the friary to build his new mansion at Donegal Castle.
Once completed, the annals were then shipped to another Franciscan refuge in Louvain in Belgium for
safekeeping. That's where the popular title, 'The Annals of the Four Masters', originated.
the timely action of those four Celtic heroes, future generations would
have been denied key knowledge of their awesome Celtic roots,
Where to See the Annals
Thanks to the success of that courageous mission, you can
see a copy of 'The Annals of the Kingdom of Ireland' in the museum room at
Rossnowlagh Friary. Rossnowlagh is less than twenty kilometers from Bundoran Co Donegal.